Monday, October 24, 2011

"You have to enjoy it."

After Regionals, I was pissed. I was mad that I hadn't done better, I was angry with myself for not being fitter, I was frustrated that I hadn't strategized better, I was pissed. I finished 6th, behind 5 super star ladies, who had all been on stage at the CF games a year earlier. But I wanted to be with them. I wanted to be better.  I took 4th in the HSPU wod, 10th with 140# thruster, 7th in the DL/BJ, 8th in the 100's, 1st in Amanda, and 7th in the chipper. I felt that my metcon and strength hadn't developed as fully as they should have, compared to my skills. I blew it on the 100's by willingly putting my hands onto molten lava. And when it was done, I was discouraged that I knew if I had somehow made it to the next level, I wouldn't have been prepared for it. I was annoyed that my placing accurately reflected my preparation and physical preparedness. I earned that 6th place and it infuriated me.  

While everyone says that 2012 started on August 1st, I started my 2012 training on October 1st. I finally committed to being a professional and getting in the gym 5 days a week. I committed to the physical work. While my training has not been perfect- it has improved. What has not improved is my mindset. I'm emotional, before, during, and after workouts. And that is something I am going to have to work through. So I am collecting reading material, to try to get my mind right. To reset and reload. Feel free to pass along any gems or tips you have for finding that happy place!

Some great pieces have come out lately talking about the mental aspects of CrossFit training and competition. There are also some older pieces to check-in with.

CFLA Team Coach Kenny Kane

Josh Bridges on Mental Barriers

CrossFit Journal Theory

Annie T On Getting Better

No comments:

Post a Comment