Tuesday, February 22, 2011

overwhelmed

the fittest games were an incredible experience for me. I journeyed to the top (winning the bear complex and the gymnsatique wods) and over the edge (the fourth/track wod). the win in the bear complex came simply from gaming it right. first set of 3 was at 120 pounds and then went straight to 140 using some stratgey provided by Armen Hammer. the gymnastics wod played to my skill strengths (muscle ups, toes to bar, double unders) and I was definitely flowing. the view of the crowd was incredibly motivating from the athlete's standpoint.

I also had two wods that broke me. the first was the gasser with shuttle runs. I wasn't fully warmed up by 9:15 in the morning and by the second shuttle the blood felt like ice in my veins. I was stiff and had a terrible time controlling the 35# dumbell. finished about 14th.

the fourth wod was my chance to stay in the race. I planned to do the squat snatches in sets of 5 and stuck with that. I was first off out of the snatches. Lisa was right behind me and powered through the 15-12-9 sumo dl high pulls and push presses. Chardonnay and Whitney passed me as well and Karen had posted the top time of the day in the earlier heat. I had trouble staying on the bar and finishing the reps. I was completely broken by the sdlhp and pp. the thought of the final 200m was horrendous and I wanted to step off the track at the 100m mark. my back was locked up, my legs were tree trunks, and it felt like i was running through molten lava. you can see the video of me crying about it. I'm pretty sure I uttered the words "I've gone too far. This is too much." I had definitely pushed to the farthest edge of my comfort zone at that point. It was by far the worst I have felt in a WOD in a long, long time. I'm glad I went there. It's a nice place to visit, but not to stay...

Ended up third on the weekend, by a hair. I feel like I've come a long way, and I am excited by the path ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment